Thursday 25 September 2008

Rothko



" I am not an abstract painter. I am not interested in the relationship between form and colour. The only thing I care about is the expression of man's basic emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, destiny. "
I went to the Rothko exhibition at the weekend at the Tate Modern. I was slightly disappointed as I didn't realize it was just his later work but it was still really enjoyable. Rothko is known for his signature style of stacking vertical fields of colour in layers; I'm so inspired by how there was so much progression and transition in each piece of work. I love how his work was influenced by myths and philosophy such as Freud.  I love the layout of each of his paintings and wonder whether you could use it graphical pieces?
Thoughout the late 1950s and 1960s Rothko explored the concept of his colour field from previous years. This interest emerged, in part, from various commissions to create ambitious paintery environments. For example for The Four Seasons restaurant in New York - The 'Seagram murals.' 
As you move around the 9 rooms you see that he begins to darken his palette because he hated that people thought his work was decorative.  For example the colours become more subdued- blacks, reds, maroons. 
It was amazing to see 14 of his red series in one room. They were so calming and engaging due to their size and extradonary array of tones. Part of the exhibition allowed you to see through special dyes on samples of the work so that you can see how many different layers of colours he used. 
I also really liked seeing his Black-Form paintings as they are so different. He uses a radically different deployment of colour, and also much more defined edges.  Although they all seem solid black there is so much texture to them and I love the way they reflect the light. 
The first picture is my favourite one of his paintings as it always reminds me of being young and going to see it with my Dad. If you stare at it for long enough the purple rectangles disappear!

No comments: