Wednesday 24 September 2008

Jeppe Hein

 Jeppe Hein - Shaking CubeJeppe Hein, NeonWall
I thought that after seeing and placing the blog on about Jeppe Hein's appearing rooms, I'd have a look at some of his other work, and discovered I really love some other things he has done.  He is a Danish artist who is now based in Berlin and has had international success especially with his performative installations. I have included some of the pieces which I really like. 
I love the spiral Labyrinth which I think is in the Tate modern?, so if it is i'd like to see it next weekend when I go to see the Rothko exhibition. A lot of his pieces explore the relationship between the viewer and the artwork. His shaking cube has invisible field of motion sensors and so the work is impelled by the movements of the viewer. His neon wall switches off as the viewer approaches.  "One side of the wall is interactive. If you walk along the wall, the neon modules turn off - one after the other. As they turn on and off the light modules change from a live, healthy, humming luminescence to a dull, cloudy object but the moment the visitor leaves, all of the neon lights are restored again."

No comments: