Wednesday 24 September 2008

Fountain displays- Heathrow T5, Bellagio hotel, Jeppe Hein's appearing rooms.


 
Over the summer I worked for a company that meant that every week I would have to go to Heathrow airport for the day. The highlight of it was that I loved to go see the fountain display at terminal 5. It was just bursts of water that went up and down at different heights but it was mesmerizing. I once saw a child walking straight down in between two lines of them and waving her hands up and down; so that it looked like she was controlling them- it was really beautiful!
I also remember how amazing the display was at the Bellagio in Vegas. It was just on an enormous scale, and it looked like the water was dancing.  
Last week when I was in London, I also went to see the Jeppe Hein, the Danish artist's, appearing rooms at the Southbank centre. It was originally commissioned for the garden of the villa Manin in Italy. You are able to enter into the sculpture, darting the water. He wants you to interact with the 'changing spaces,' as the walls of water rise and fall. This was so great to see as it was a step forward in an idea after seeing the girl at Heathrow and it was really fun. "This public artwork explores the relationship between spatial perception and memory, presence and absence, inside and outside. "


No comments: