Sunday 21 September 2008

Nigel Coates- Scubism

I went to see Nigel Coates new range of furniture for Fratelli Boffi today at Chaplins Furniture which blew me away. There are 22 pieces and I especially liked the chairs. It is part of the London Design Festival which has been on since the 13th. He is a very unique and spontaneous designer who does not only do interior design but also product design and architecture. "Scubism avoids coordination for its own sake. It combines mischievous imagination and traditional skills." I love the sumptuous and colourful fabric used, and bizarre shapes that the timber is sculptured into; ways in which I would have never has imagined; which I feel has a real feel of copying bodily poses and a great twist on Cubism. 
" Why not fragment structure and defy gravity?"

No comments: