Wednesday 17 September 2008

Helmut Newton



The moment I saw the front cover of a book on Helmut Newton's work I knew I was going to be hooked. It wasn't that I found it provocative or shocking; it was just so bold; the picture was so.... piercing. Like Tom Ford states in the book celebrating the whole spectrum of his work and also his 80th birthday; " His world spoke to me." He allows the female subject matters to have so much power; Not just in the way he gives them a masculine authority but also in a hidden  message that these woman know how much control they can have over someone with the beauty of their bodies. Even when the picture shows a scene where the woman seems to be under control of the man, there's something in their eyes that screams "that's what he thinks!" I particularly like his black and white fashion photographs and his portraits. . Pierre Berge words conclude his work so well; "What he created was an exemplary vision, on a knife edge between humour and seriousness, between imagination and clinical vision." I've added some of my favourite pages from two books I have on him; Helmut Newton- Work, and A Gun to Hire. 


No comments: