Wednesday 1 October 2008

The Tate Britain- Francis Bacon

I wasn't a huge fan ever of Francis Bacon but the exhibition at the Tate Britain was so well set out and his work is overwhelming. I had an audio guide which was so educational.  I could relate to how he loved to tear photographs and pictures from magazines or newspapers and draw on top of them. I loved seeing all the different photos that he would take or be inspired by.  And also to how he was an atheist and was intrigued by his representation of what it would be like to live in a world without God or afterlife. I love how much of his emotions were put into his representations of the figure. There is so much tension, hopelessness, desperation and  isolation; the paintings haunt you like a nightmare with figures trapped in the scene or line boxes.  I love how he would slightly distort on some, and then completely on others such as his crucifixion paintings. It was interesting to learn of how he would paint vertical lines on the paintings to make it more dream like and feel like there was movement and his obsession with the Velazquez's portrait of Pope Innocent X c 1650. The  These were some of my favourite ones, and are probably not the ones that are usually conventionally associated with Bacon.

No comments: